This is a PDF version of this year’s first day slide show that I will show to all of my classes:
I am attempting to, from the very first minute, create a culture in my room of the following ideas or philosophies:
- Everyone can be successful.
- Effort is the key determiner of success (more than ‘talent’).
- Everyone is welcome here.
- Learning happens in an emotionally safe environment, so this is something well work on everyday.
- Feedback (ongoing assessment) will happen all the time in this class to increase communication to help us create the best conditions for your success.
- Teamwork is an incredibly powerful tool for increasing the likelihood of success, so we will be working with others often.
- What is your idea of a ‘great classroom’? What does a ‘good teacher’ do? What does a ‘good student’ do?